A church building is known to have existed by 1199, This was replaced by another in the 16th century and again after the reformation in the 17th. This was a cruciform church of very plain structure which the Duke of Argyll apparently referred to as the barn. The remaining walls of the church in the graveyard indicate how plain the structure was.
The fifth and present church on this site was completed in 1853. It has been expanded several times, each one keeping faith with the materials and form of the original church. It was the church in which Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and her husband the Duke of Argyll worshipped. The East Transept faces the main road through the town.
The 1853 building consisted only of the East - West transept. The North and South transepts were added later.
The entrance is at the right side of the South transept.
Perhaps as a result of the titled interest, the church has a wealth of objects, decoration and stained glass from the 19th to 20th centuries. The church was opened in 1853 with a single isle. The North and then the South transepts were added later.